NEWSFLASH: This year, I’m getting out of my comfort zone!
At this time of year, it’s everywhere, lots of advice on how to set and keep New Year’s resolutions. Gyms are full to bursting, diets are being started, and promises are being made, some of which are sure to be broken.
I’ve been there, heck we’ve all been there, as we succumb to the pressure to publicly state the things that we want/need/have to/ are going to change about ourselves in the New Year.
In the past I’ve stood up and proclaimed my intentions out loud, in the hope that these public declarations would “shame” me into adopting a new habit. Only to quietly sit down a couple of weeks later because I got bored/couldn’t keep up/didn’t want to/couldn’t be bothered to complete the task that I’d set out to do.
A couple years ago I just stopped, stopped setting resolutions and putting unrealistic expectations on myself.
I stopped being a resoluter and looked for words that that inspired and encouraged me to be the best I can be. It’s not always easy and there are times that I forget, so I print them out and put them in places that I go to everyday so that it’s easily accessible when I need to remind myself of what I’m trying to achieve.
I also stopped starting these activities only at the beginning of the year. I start them as the desire and conviction rise. I’m sharing these with you today in the hopes that it’ll inspire someone with their goal setting.
- get out of my comfort zone and stretch myself without worrying about looking foolish or failure
- try to never miss an opportunity to express my gratitude
- recognize that my time is precious, and I will be intentional with how and where I spend it.
- be positive, because it can change my outcomes.
- remember that health and wellness is equal parts physical and emotional.
- recognize that I am not superwoman, and from time to time, I need to stop and recharge.
- do, rather than saying that I’m going to do
- never stop learning.
- continue to be authentic in what I say and write
- dream BIGGER than I’ve ever dared to dream
Happy New Year everyone and I’m looking forward to seeing what 2014 brings. What are your hopes and dreams for 2014?
Copyright © 2014, Olive & Ruby. All rights reserved.