I love scones. I love 'em sweet, savoury and in between. They are my go-to item for Sunday brunch. Last Sunday I whipped up a batch and we literally scarfed them down.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add 4 tablespoons of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add small pieces of cold butter together and rub together by hand until pea-size nuggets are formed. Lightly coat blueberries in flour and add to the mixture turning very lightly until combined. Note: over mixing the dough will cause the scones to be tough and dry.
2. In another bowl, mix cream, eggs, vanilla and almond essence until well blended.
3. Add cream mixture to the dry ingredients and knead lightly until all ingredients the dough comes together.
4. Roll mixture out on a lightly floured board and roll until 1-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer onto a baking sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown then transfer to wire racks to cool. Add glaze if desired.
You can also make these scones with an Almond Glaze. If I'm just cooking for us, I don't typically do it because we don't like overly sweet pastries but if I'm making these for brunch and we're having people over then I make this almond glaze to go with the scones.
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
Mix all ingredients together while scones are baking and after they’re done, while they’re still warm, drizzle mixture over the warm scones. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Copyright © 2012, Olive & Ruby. All rights reserved.