About Olive & Ruby
Hi, I’m Rhonda! Welcome to my blog on cooking, baking and my life. I now live in the beautiful metropolis of Toronto, but spent the first 17 years of my life on the Caribbean island of Trinidad, where I met and fell in love with Olive & Ruby.
So who are Olive and Ruby? They are my paternal and maternal grandmothers, who shared with me their love for cooking and baking. A few years ago Olive passed away and left me her handwritten notebook of favourite recipes. That inspired me to start this blog, and share both Olive and Ruby’s recipes with my family and friends. Then, along the way, I started a culinary certificate, met a bunch of wild and crazy food bloggers, and before you know it: I’ve become a full-fledged food blogger!!!
On this blog, I cook and photograph some of my favourite recipes, give my opinion on things that make me go “Hmmm!”, and do my best to follow other people’s recipes. Occasionally, I’ll share some of Olive and Ruby’s dishes, make up my own, review products or restaurants, and talk about my adventures.
To help you learn a bit more about me I’ve included some links to a couple of posts that I’ve enjoyed writing and had great responses to:
- Here’s a more in depth post about Olive and Ruby and how they’ve inspired me.
- Since I started blogging, I’ve learned a couple things about myself, and as it turns out I wasn’t the only one who felt this way.
- I like spicy food and so too do some of my readers, this Trinidad Curry Chicken recipe has been one of my most popular posts on Pinterest to date.
- I love to travel and try to incorporate food tourism wherever I go.
- My husband has recently become vegetarian so I’ve been experimenting with more vegetarian recipes and working on perfecting them.
- Last but not least this is my favourite bread to make because you really get a good workout kneading this bread into shape.
So hopefully you’ve learned a bit about me, and if you’re interested in hearing more from me feel free to contact me, here.
So how can you work with us?
Unfortunately neither Olive, nor Ruby is available, but I (Rhonda) am available to work with you. To help you figure out whether or not we’re a good fit for each other, here are a couple of things you should know about me
- The best way to get a hold of me is via email. I have a day job, but I’ve always got my phone close by so I can respond to you pretty quickly via email.
- Contact me, here.
- Your message should be succinct but contain enough information so I should know what you're looking for from me.
- My husband is vegetarian but I am not, and we have a dog.
- My husband and I eat out a couple of times a month, and we enjoy a wide variety of cuisines. If you’d like me to do a review of a restaurant I’d absolutely welcome that opportunity.
- My husband and I also travel a couple times a year and I do post regular reviews on trip advisor and other travel sites.
- I will be honest in my review. If I don’t like your product, I will be constructive but honest in my assessment.
- I believe in transparency so I will disclose to my readers if I’m writing about a product I’ve been given to review. I will not accept products as a loaner. If I choose not to keep your product after my review, I will donate it to a local women’s shelter.
- Job opportunities in the areas food, marketing and recipe development ones are always welcome. ;)
- Finally I will host giveaways, and I’m happy to supply metrics post event/giveaway.
Thanks and I look forward to working with you.